Thursday 26 February 2009

I'm just an old Dandy

Frankly sir I find myself flabbergasted and quite cross..............................
Hi, I was on my way to work this morning, on the bus, a journey that was both epic in proportion and treacherous in terms of...........well lets just say it was snowing......heavily. I must also mention my attire for it was a mixture of formal businessman and mountain climber/experienced hill walker (in mid winter). There is nothing as irritating when arriving at your nice warm destination (well slightly warmer than outside anyhow) to find that because of your lack of planning and the weather not too disimilar to artic circle conditions you are ever so slightly wet, cold and extremely miserable...........now I would add here that even if I was prepared for these conditions, I was still somewhat miserable by the time I arrived at my desk.
Oh my........I do so forget myself don't I? in my haste to relay my misfortune such as it was, I haven't even asked after your wellbeing and humour? I trust that it is such that it finds you in a better mood than last we met (well you were a bit grumpy). What is my point (you are undoubtedly asking yourself by now), well I got to thinking while on my journey, I wonder what it would be like to be travelling this journey during the middle ages,
Lunch time over better get back to work, we'll continue this later.
Much later as it turns out that was Monday, now it's Wednesday, and after reading what I'd written, I'd like to rephrase the question slightly, as I'm not entirely sure what era 'middle ages' covers, and the era I think I'm thinking of is the 1800's (I think!) I suppose I could do some research, but where's the fun in that, you just end up finding out you're not quite as clever as you thought you were.
So here's the question again: What would it be like to be from the 1800's, but here today?
Imagine if you will, walking briskly down the street wearing a stovepipe hat and tails, breeches and boots, helped along your merry way with finest walking cane, cheerily greeting each passer by with a doff of said stovepipe hat "Good morrow my fine fellow" , "How ist thou on this fine morn"? Now imagine if that was transported to a modern day scene passing the Co-op where a collection of fine young fellows are gathered, disputing the day's events, dressed in their own brand of the day's chic; black.......everything black, from the tracksuit bottoms (with hands firmly inserted down the front of) tracksuit top, trainers (with socks tucked in) and all topped off with the old alpine ski hat (like they are expecting some kind of blizzard conditions at any moment and giving them a kind of deputy dawg kind of appearance).
Now that I've pictured the scene that has developed in my mind over the last couple of days I have another question: what would the communication sound like between our newly formed characters?
Right now I'm going to leave that with you while I go and have my lunch.............today I'll be serving (to myself) jacket potatoes, chilli and cheese (Thanks Ruthless, my wife). seedewhatilater.

No comments:

Post a Comment